What iPad apps do you use when you fly?

Tom

Administrator
Staff member
I use ForeFlight and Xavion.

ForeFlight is what I use most of the time. Xavion is primarily used as a tool for engine failure.

Xavion was created by Austin Meyer, who created the Xplane 11 flight simulator. He's an aeronautical engineer and a pilot. The biggest feature of Xavion that I love is the red EMER button.

Xavion is constantly running simulations of power-off glides from your current position to every runway that it thinks is within gliding range. It picks what it considers the best destination and shows you a series of "hoops" to fly through.

1599335655223.png

Xavion asks you for specific glide data for your airplane. A fast, slow and configured glide speed. It uses these three speeds and descent gradients to land you at the optimum point on the best runway. The touchdown location is calculated like a glide pilot does it:

• Runway length minus your landing distance = extra runway amount
  • Extra runway amount divided by two
  • Add extra runway amount to the threshold
This gives you the maximum buffer for your glide. If you are coming down a little too fast or a little too slowly, you have the proper buffer built in.

This is a potential life saver with engine failure in IMC or night.

Xavion is $10/month and includes updated charts in the subscription price.

Jeff Bonvallet

ForeFlight now has “Glide Advisor” and factors in best glide, glide ratio, winds, and terrain. I like the “hoops” on Xavion. Xavion picking what it considers the best destination sounds great, especially in an emergency. However, the final decision is always PIC. I need to practice with this new feature. Should really help in mountain flying.

Tom

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the glide advisor in Foreflight but I'll have to compare with XPlane how the two compare.

Flying108

I am definitely a power-user of Foreflight, I just need an iPhone so I have a backup. Overheat is probably the biggest drawback of an EFB so I really need a backup.
I agree. I have had my iPad mini shut down twice from heat.........while transiting DEN Class B......while the GNS430 started to have the screen washout from the 82 degF day (not a Club plane). I have back up paper charts that are expired, but in a pinch they never fail. Had my iphone too if needed. I hope the next gen iPads don't overheat as readily.

dwcarter

I have been running ForeFlight on an iPad Mini as a kneeboard for a few years now. I have been quite pleased with App, but the price increases have been a little disappointing. I recently upgraded from a Scout to a Sentry ADS-B receiver to go with the package. I have only had the Sentry up once, but it seemed to work great. A friend had the CO detector in his newly purchased Sentry fail and had to return it for repairs. He had a positive experience with the company's customer service.

Shack

ForeFlight + iPad mini + Stratus + any Bluetooth headset. I’m a big fan of all the ForeFlight plan / file / fly features, but my favorite is the traffic SA I get on the iPad, with the audible alerts telling me i need to look. I know all these cost $ but worth it to me. I made a shortcut on the iPad that wakes up ForeFlight, turns the iPad volume and brightness up, and pairs with the Stratus (WiFi) and headset (Bluetooth) with one button (actually an icon) so I don’t spend a lot of time fidgeting with them in the cockpit.

Last edited:

Nick C

If you're a CFI, you can get a 33% discount on ForeFlight through SAFE

One tip, you don't have to be a CFI to join SAFE. It costs $45/year to join at the level that gives you the 33% Foreflight discount. It doesn't get you ahead if you are on the $100/year FF plan, but if you're on the $200/year plan, you can get a little bit of net savings by joining SAFE.

Tom

Administrator
Staff member
I made a shortcut on the iPad that wakes up ForeFlight, turns the iPad volume and brightness up, and pairs with the Stratus (WiFi) and headset (Bluetooth) with one button (actually an icon) so I don’t spend a lot of time fidgeting with them in the cockpit.
How do you create a shortcut to do all of that? Sounds like a great idea.