Recommended Flight Sims

Tom

Administrator
Staff member
I have XPlane 11 and Microsoft flight simulator. I prefer XPlane for practice instrument approaches but I haven't used MS Flight Sim a lot. XPlane connects to foreflight on my iPad and shows my current location on the map/approach plates. Pretty slick.

troydonovan

I have XPlane 11 and Microsoft flight simulator. I prefer XPlane for practice instrument approaches but I haven't used MS Flight Sim a lot. XPlane connects to foreflight on my iPad and shows my current location on the map/approach plates. Pretty slick.
Thanks for the feedback Tom. I didn't know that XPlane 11 connected to foreflight. That's great info! Anyone have a 2019 Wi-Fi + Cellular and 256GB model of the 11-inch iPad Pro for sale?

Nick C

Contact Bob Wacker (CFI at the Aero Club) to ask what he uses. He is a big proponent of home sims for instrument work and uses his regularly. A word of caution, home sims and even AATD's should be used sparingly during private training. They can cause the user to develop bad aircraft control habits. However, they are great for instrument training and practice. When I use the Redbird LD at the Aero Club, I don't even land the plane after the approach (if I don't go missed). Landing the plane in the sim isn't what you should be practicing.